elenalikesbooks

Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore

No Proper Lady

No Proper Lady - Isabel Cooper 3.5 stars. I had a good long mental debate over whether to give this 3.5 or 4 stars. Thinking about the book's individual qualities, it seems like a 4-star read. It's very unique, and it does a pretty good job at blending genres. It's an intriguing mix of historical romance, time travel romance, and paranormal romance--it could be labeled with any of those categories, but none of them really do the book justice.In the novel, Joan is sent back in time from her apocalyptic, demon-infested future in order to stop the man who began the apocalypse...back in 1888. She teams up with wealthy 1888 magician Simon, who had been best friends with the evil magician, Alex, until Alex lured Simon's sister Eleanor into a demonic possession. Joan, Simon, and Eleanor team up to teach Joan how to be an 1888 lady in order to get close to Alex and stop him.Awesome premise, decent characters, okay plot. I liked this book, but I didn't love it. I can't think of anything really wrong with it, but somehow it just didn't fully click with me, and I can't bring myself to give it four stars. It's worth the read for the interesting genre blending though.