elenalikesbooks

The Thousand Names
Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore

Taken by Storm (Raised by Wolves, #3)

Taken by Storm (Raised by Wolves, #3) - Jennifer Lynn Barnes The overall plot of this book would have gotten about three stars, maybe 3.5, but, well. Worst trilogy ending ever. My feelings about Chase's character aside (basically, I had no feelings whatsoever about him), ending a trilogy by killing the protagonist's one true love and forcing her best friend/soul mate to leave her permanently, both losses occurring for the sake of politics, and ending the series with her being more or less totally dead inside (but hey, at least she's a strong leader)? Unacceptable. I gave the first book five stars, but I'm not going to be able to read it again, because this is one of those cases where a later book in the series totally negates any enjoyment I may have gotten from the earlier books.Edit: I feel the need to expand this to say that it's not Chase's death that bugs me. It's unusual to kill off a romantic male lead in YA, but I actually admire authors who are capable of biting the bullet and doing painful things for the sake of character development and plot. And I felt pretty lukewarm toward Chase himself. However, not only could Chase's death have been avoided if Bryn had been a little smarter or Callum a little less calculating, but Bryn doesn't recover from his death before the book ends. There's no hope at the end, only grim determination. And I don't know about you, but when I read a book, "No matter what you sacrifice, you still have to shoulder your burdens and carry on for the sake of those who look to you for protection" isn't exactly the sort of takeaway message I'm looking for.