elenalikesbooks

Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore

Suicide Notes

Suicide Notes - If you're going to read this book, I am of the opinion that you should go into it knowing absolutely nothing about its contents other than that it is about a 15-year-old boy who is in a psych ward after attempting to commit suicide, and that said boy has a very smart alecky voice. Don't read the jacket copy, don't read the blurbs, don't read the author's bio, don't read the back matter. I managed to avoid spoiling myself much before reading, and I think it made the read more rewarding for me than if I'd known anything more.I almost gave this book 3 or 3.5 stars, then realized that I would be doing the book a disservice. It's not the book's fault that I am more of an action/adventure/magic sort of person, and this book has no action, adventure, or magic. I continued reading despite the fact that it wasn't my cup of tea because my librarian brain engaged, and I knew after just a couple chapters that this is going to be one of those books that I whip out for teen reader's advisory (for the non-initiated: RA is basically book recommendations when they occur as part of a librarian's job) again and again. This book should be held in every library's teen collection. I honestly think that for certain teens, this book will be exactly what they need to read at exactly the right time in their lives.I don't, however, think that this book necessarily has the same appeal to adults that a lot of YA does. If you're a teen, or you have teens in your life to whom you recommend books, give this a go.