elenalikesbooks

The Thousand Names
Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore

How Beauty Loved the Beast (Tales of the Underlight, #3)

How Beauty Loved the Beast (Tales of the Underlight, #3) - Jax Garren I should have known the ending to this series based on the source material Garren was using, but I held out hope. Alas, I was disappointed.Magical healing of disabled characters is a weirdly prevalent trope in speculative fiction, and a really harmful one--it implies that people with disabilities are unwhole, that they need magical healing, and that magical solutions are ideal. There are very few characters in SFF that a disabled person can look at and say, "They're like me," and even fewer who aren't rid of their disability by the end of the book or series. It's something that really pisses me off a lot.I give Garren credit for trying. She did have her hero come to terms with his disability, choosing a disabled life over an honorable death and pleasant, able-bodied afterlife, but then she threw in the magical fix at the end to muck things up. And the magical fix was out of the blue and made no damn sense, to boot.I still think this series is pretty good, and I enjoyed this installment up to the end. Weirdly, I think this is one of the rare cases of trilogies where the middle book is actually best. Overall, this series is definitely worth checking out for fans of PNR.