elenalikesbooks

The Thousand Names
Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore

What Happens in London (Bevelstoke Series #2)

What Happens in London (Bevelstoke Series #2) - 3.5 stars. This book features a hero, Harry, who is fluent in three languages, as good at dancing as he is at shooting (that is, very), witty, and handsome. The heroine, Olivia...is pretty. She speaks only English, has no skills to speak of other than creating silly lists in her head, doesn't like to read (except the newspaper), and isn't terribly graceful. Great. In fact, Olivia is so uninspiring that there's a scene in which Harry lists the reasons he loves her, and he actually has to make some up. Seriously. Exact passage from the book:"I love that she's kind to small children and large dogs." What? She looked at him askance."I'm guessing," he admitted. "You seem like the sort."So, er, that's nice.That said, I still enjoyed this book a lot, because Julia Quinn has an excellent sense of humor. Romance novels are rarely worthy of laughter unless it is laughter of mockery or disdain, but Quinn manages to make me laugh every time. I still pick up her books from time to time for this reason, and because her heroes don't fall into the trap of being overprotective idiots who deserve a good punch in the face, as so many romance heroes do.However, her external plots are in serious need of assistance. Every Quinn book I've ever read has had some plot device danger randomly tacked onto the end of the book, because apparently she can't have a crisis without the heroine being in physical danger but also can't be bothered to pull the physical danger aspect of the plot forward so that it's intertwined with the rest of the novel. There was such potential with this book too--Harry works for the War Office, there's a Russian prince who may or may not be plotting against England, etc. It sounds like the recipe for an exciting plot. Instead, there's a random, tacked-on kidnapping that's resolved fairly quickly, and then everyone lives happily ever after.I've said it before, and I'll said it again: I love Julia Quinn's sense of humor, but I dearly wish she had a better sense of plot.This book is worth it for the laughs though. A nice, fluffy read for when you just need to turn your brain off for a while and read something cute and happy.