elenalikesbooks

The Thousand Names
Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore

How Beauty Met the Beast (Tales of the Underlight)

How Beauty Met the Beast - Jax Garren Note: I received an electronic ARC of this novel through NetGalley.3.5 stars. Not your typical paranormal romance, which made it interesting. I think if I'd seen this sort of premise/world before, I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. So it's good more for novelty's sake than, y'know, actually being good. Still, the novelty was enough that I'll probably pick up book two.Also, I appreciated the fact that the hero was disfigured in more than the typical romance novel "Oh, he walks with a bit of a limp" or "She's got a bit of a birthmark on her temple" way. I liked the author's choice to have the heroine be actually horrified/grossed out when first seeing him, and showing her awkwardness while getting to know him and wondering which questions were okay to ask, etc. I do think that some of those scenes could have been done in a better and/or more interesting way (as I feel about a lot of the book, actually), but I appreciate the effort.Overall, this is a decent debut, and I'm crossing my fingers that Jax Garren gets better with time, because she's got some good ideas.