elenalikesbooks

The Thousand Names
Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin Trilogy Series #1)

Grave Mercy  - Robin LaFevers, R.L. LaFevers This, unfortunately, is one of those books that I like less and less the more I think about it. While I was reading it, there were parts I adored. I still adore the premise. I mean, assassin nuns who serve the god of death? Yes, please! And I certainly enjoyed it enough to keep turning pages. It had a decent plot arc, and I might even be willing to pick up the second book. Maybe.However, what let me down, and angers me more and more as time goes on, is the main character, Ismae. She was trained for years at the convent of the assassin nuns, taught everything from garotte techniques to seduction methods, with a specialization in poisons. She knows dozens of ways to kill, can kick ass in a fight, and should, by all rights, be TOTALLY BADASS.But...she isn't. She is one of the least badass characters I've ever encountered. When I was reading, once the "ZOMG WHAT AN AWESOME IDEA THAT IS TOTALLY BADASS" initial impression wore off and the plot got going, I became more and more troubled by Ismae's total lack of skill. Despite her supposed training, she can't seem to do anything right other than straight-up fighting. She can kick ass, sure, but assassins also need to be sneaky and full of subterfuge. Ismae was about as subtle as a crossbow bolt to the neck fired in the middle of a party in full view of all the guests (um, spoiler?). If Ismae had been portrayed as a fighter, I'd probably like this book a lot better. But Ismae was supposed to be an assassin, and apart from knowing dozens of ways to kill someone, Ismae had no assassin skills whatsoever.I really wanted to love this book, but I'm left with just disappointment and a present but fading appreciation for the amazing premise. I'll wait to see what my friends have to say about the sequel before I decide whether or not to give the assassin nuns of supposed awesomeness a second chance.