elenalikesbooks

Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore

Mind Games

Mind Games - Note: I received an electronic ARC of this title from the publisher.The premise to this book is great, and I enjoyed the author's Paranormalcy series, so I was extremely excited to get this ARC. Maybe it was my high expectations setting me up for a fall, but I was disappointed in this one.The book is set at and around a school that's essentially what Professor Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters would be if Professor X were evil and only wanted to harness the mutants' powers to build up his criminal empire. Awesome, right? Except, well, though we're told it's a school and there are other students, we really only ever see our protagonists, sisters Fia and Annie, and one other girl, Annie's friend Eden. We get some evil teachers, but no other students whatsoever ever appear even as background, which makes it seem like a pretty damned empty school.I really, really wanted to like Fia (who, let's face it, is the only protagonist who matters despite the fact that Annie weirdly gets almost as much page time), but somehow I just couldn't. I think Kiersten White's chaotic voice, which I found quirky and charming coming from Evie in the Paranormalcy series, just seemed manic and totally disjointed here, which prevented me from connecting with Fia. And Annie should never have been a protagonist. I actually liked her when seeing her through Fia's eyes, but as soon as we got into her head I was alternately rolling my eyes and yawning, waiting to switch back to the real main character. So I think having multiple POVs was a big mistake on Kiersten White's part.There's a love triangle, which I'm so sick of that the appearance of one pretty much always knocks a book down half a star, and neither of the love interests seemed at all attractive to me. I mean, one is pretty clearly a manipulative bastard (that's not even a spoiler, really), and the other I guess might be okay, but we see so little of him that their weird, instantly strong feelings for each other seem really strange.So, yeah. The premise earns this one three stars, but alas, I don't think I enjoyed it enough to pick up book two.