elenalikesbooks

Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore

Taken

Taken - Note: I received an electronic ARC of this title from the publisher.The best thing about this book is the cover. I mean, look at it. PRETTY COLORS. A bit haunting, but so pretty. I want to read that book. Unfortunately, I did read it, and it doesn't live up to its cover.This book started off with a cool premise and a decent protagonist, then completely broke down due to worldbuilding and logic holes a train could drive through. I was totally distracted by all the areas where the author clearly hadn't thought things through about her world and how her characters, who had essentially been living in a medieval world, would react to (minor spoiler) the advanced technology and things we take for granted. And I was utterly confused about where the "outside" society stood technologically. It seemed like a slightly futuristic Earth, but there were tons of weird anachronistic touches, like metal handcuffs and a totally bizarre lack of security cameras in the paranoid military dictator's headquarters. And more, oh so much more. *sigh*Also, I find it hard to believe that no one questioned the status quo in either world--Claysoot or the Center--before Gray came along and shook things up. When, halfway through, Bowman tossed a love triangle in for good measure, I could no longer take it. I kept reading, but knew there was pretty much no way for the book to redeem itself. For the premise and the fact that the book is very exciting and fast-paced (which I like), the book gets three stars. If the premise appeals to you, it might be a good idea to just read [b:Running Out of Time|227658|Running Out of Time|Margaret Peterson Haddix|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1329560632s/227658.jpg|888455] and then a good dystopian instead.