elenalikesbooks

Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore

Alpha & Omega: A Companion Novella to Cry Wolf

Alpha & Omega - Patricia Briggs This is honestly a pretty uninspiring start to Briggs' Alpha and Omega series, but this is a weird case where I actually feel it is totally necessary to start with this novella if you intend to continue on to the rest of the books (which are much better than the novella overall). When I picked up [b:Cry Wolf|2355575|Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1)|Patricia Briggs|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1310494063s/2355575.jpg|2362332] for the first time, I was so incredibly lost--I felt like I was missing the first couple chapters of the story. The book launches readers into a situation in progress with no explanation of backstory. Turns out that the first couple chapters are this novella. Cry Wolf picks up the story right where the novella leaves off.The reason I find this story uninspiring is because it places Charles in the role of hero, but neglects to make Anna into a heroine. She's just a girl who needs saving who also happens to be a POV character. Sure, she's not totally passive, but Charles is always in the driver's seat for literally everything that happens in this book (well, after he and Anna meet, anyway). Anna just kind of tags along.Briggs makes Anna into a stronger character in the subsequent books in the series, and thank goodness, because if the whole series was like this I would have been fed up with it long ago, but in actuality, it gets better with every book.