elenalikesbooks

Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore

The Pirate's Wish

The Pirate's Wish - Cassandra Rose Clarke 3.5 stars.So, when I read [b:The Assassin's Curse|13533650|The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse, #1)|Cassandra Rose Clarke|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1335967954s/13533650.jpg|18229805], I loved it, but felt that the pacing and ending were way off. It felt like it took half the book to really pick up steam, and then it was practically over. And the tone of the ending seemed really bizarre to me, like it was more of a chapter ending than a novel ending. Turns out the reason, as revealed in the afterward to The Pirate's Wish, is that this duology is actually just one book that was so long that the editor advised chopping it into two books. As far as I can tell, they literally just picked a spot in the middle and divided it, with no extra editing to make the books read like separate novels. IMO, that was a poor decision. This story has a perfectly acceptable arc if you read it as a single book, but neither book really has a novel arc on its own, which is a huge downside.However, I do think it's a fun story that's worth reading as long as you just get both books and pretend they're a single novel. Since they are.This is one of those stories that's described as "a rip-roaring adventure." Lots of excitement, lots of questing, lots of bizarre and extraordinary encounters. I love it. Clarke isn't afraid to use her imagination and just go wild, and she also isn't wholly consumed with needing to be original and meaningful, which places this book firmly in the "fun" category. I don't think there's enough uncomplicated, non-overthought fun out there in literature, even in YA, so this duology is a welcome addition.In The Assassin's Curse, I loved Ananna and Naji and their interactions, which added to the fun plot. In this book, alas, Ananna's character takes a nosedive and I was left wanting to smack her and feeling really sorry for Naji for being stuck with her. For the first three quarters of the book, anytime Naji opened his mouth Ananna either told him to shut up or stormed off to sulk, totally refusing to listen to anything he had to say on any topic whatsoever. That got old fast. Very, very fast. If I had been traveling with the two of them, I would have freaking left Ananna behind (and said, "Sorry, Naji," since the poor man was stuck with her due to a curse) and gone on by myself. And she didn't even have a good reason for her behavior. She had a really stupid reason that had nothing to do with Naji and his actions and everything to do with Ananna and her own stupid...stupidness.So that really dragged this book down for me. It's a testament to the fun plot that I still gave this book 3.5 stars.If you're looking for an uncomplicated, fun adventure fantasy, this duology is perfect. Just get ready for some eye-rolling in the second half.Note: Thanks to Strange Chemistry and NetGalley for providing an electronic review copy of this title.