elenalikesbooks

The Thousand Names
Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore
Deadline - Mira Grant 4.5 stars. I nearly gave it five, but that would be like saying I loved it as much as [b:Feed|7094569|Feed (Newsflesh, #1)|Mira Grant|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516M6ZVVt7L._SL75_.jpg|7351419], and I didn't, not quite. It was slow to start, and the first nearly 300 pages were full of endless boring exposition, and I missed Georgia. However, the second half of the book more than makes up for the iffy beginning.Now that the rating quibbles are out of the way, please forgive me for venting some emotion here using bad language: HOLY FUCK, MIRA GRANT.This book made me cry (in public, no less). It made me scream. It made my heart race, it made me groan in sympathetic embarrassment, and it made me laugh.The shock we received in Feed struck me to the point I thought that nothing Mira Grant could do in future books could have as big an impact. And, well, nothing did, not quite, but it came damned close. Twice. And several smaller shocks also felt like punches to the gut. I have to hand it to this author: she doesn't hold back and she doesn't cut the reader any slack, and her books are much better because of it.And the twist ending had me grabbing a pillow to muffle the screams I couldn't help but make at one o'clock in the morning when I finally finished the book.If you enjoyed Feed, there is no doubt in my mind that you will love Deadline. And if you haven't read [b:Feed|7094569|Feed (Newsflesh, #1)|Mira Grant|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516M6ZVVt7L._SL75_.jpg|7351419], please, please do.Also, is anyone else going to have nightmares involving zombie mosquitoes and/or grocery store produce misters now? *shudder*Spoilery addendum re: the twist at the end (copied from a comment on Wendy Darling's review):Throughout the whole book, I kept thinking that there were really vague hints that George would come back, but I chalked it up to wishful thinking. Cloning didn't occur to me (though I wanted to smack myself for not thinking of it when I got to the end), and I kept getting hung up on the whole Shaun shot her in the spine and watched her die thing. You just don't come back from that, heh. But OH MY GOD am I excited for the next book now. I love Georgia, and one of the reasons I didn't like this book quite as much as Feed was because she wasn't in it (hallucinations don't count).I am really, really looking forward to the scene where Shaun encounters clone!George now though. Because it's going to go something like:Shaun: Oh, hey, George. What's up?Georgia: *blinks* I...expected some more melodrama to accompany our reunion, considering the whole resurrected-from-dead thing.Shaun: But you are dead. I know that.Georgia: Um.Mahir: *faints*Shaun: Wait, you're not a hallucination?It will be brilliant. Unless Mira Grant decides to make it tragic, like a deathbed reunion as Shaun breathes his last, or something. I wouldn't put it past her.