elenalikesbooks

The Thousand Names
Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore
Sweethearts - Sara Zarr So, you know when it's dinnertime and you're kinda hungry, but you don't really feel like making anything, or you don't have any food in the house and you're too lazy to go out and get some groceries, and so you just have toast? And the toast does its job and fills you up, but there's nothing special about it? It's not the best toast you've ever tasted, you don't close your eyes and say, "Mmmmmm!" while you're eating it. It's just filler.This book was the literary equivalent of toast for dinner. It was a book. It had characters that were character-shaped and a plot that was plot-shaped. There was nothing truly objectionable about anything, but nor was there really anything to get excited over. It wasn't a total waste of an evening, but there are better things I could have filled my head with.I kept thinking as I read that this book was [a:Sarah Dessen|2987|Sarah Dessen|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1208460253p2/2987.jpg] lite. Take a Sarah Dessen book and turn the volume down on everything from drama to trauma to romance, and you're left with Sweethearts.I read this book for a book club and was honestly surprised that we found enough to talk about that we filled a whole hour because to me, it was just so bland.I have minor quibbles and minor praise, but all my opinions are so minor I don't even feel it's worth bringing them up.Meh.