elenalikesbooks

The Thousand Names
Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore
The Mad Scientist's Daughter - Cassandra Rose Clarke Note: I received an electronic ARC of this title from the publisher through NetGalley.I had read a few reviews before taking this book on, so I knew it wasn't going to be as breakneak pace, madcap fun as the author's debut, the YA novel [b:The Assassin's Curse|13533650|The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse, #1)|Cassandra Rose Clarke|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1335967954s/13533650.jpg|18229805]. But I guess I still expected some level of fun. This book was not fun.This book is part of a genre that I like to call "literary fiction with speculative elements." The Mad Scientist's Daughter is technically science fiction (I mean, there are robots), but doesn't have the same sense of wonder and exploration that most sci-fi has. There's no joy to this world or its characters.The book follows a girl, Cat, from her childhood through roughly age thirty as she gets to know and eventually falls in love with an android, Finn. Cat is the sort of character "literary" novels are stuffed with--so deeply flawed that it's hard to like her. She treats Finn like shit, goes about her life sometimes with and sometimes without him, and eventually a series of shitty and shittier things happen and then they finally get together and live in something that may approximate happiness.This book explores the tried and true issues of what personhood really means, where the line between artificial intelligence and human intelligence is drawn, and the nature of love. It might have been interesting had Clarke had anything new to say about any of these things. Or if the characters had been at all relatable. Alas, she didn't and they weren't.If you're a fan of the "literary fiction with speculative elements" genre, this is one to check out. But if you're into mainstream spec fic, like I am, this one will probably bore you.