elenalikesbooks

The Thousand Names
Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore
Wonder - R.J. Palacio 3.5 stars. Like Suicide Notes, this is a book that I didn't really find entertaining but am glad I pushed through. One of those books that's not fun, but important.I do feel that the author could have made the book much more complex and nuanced. The subject matter was unique, but the story itself was relatively bland. Lots of reviewers have said they bawled while reading this--I didn't really find it to be that emotionally charged. I cry easily when it comes to fiction, and I didn't shed a tear for this one.But it was a quick read, and I'd still recommend it. This one would probably actually work well with its intended middle grade audience as well (as compared to, say, A Monster Calls, which is brilliant but might be somewhat inaccessible to kids despite the supposed intended audience). The simplicity of the narrative, which bothered me as an adult reader, might be ideal for younger audiences.