elenalikesbooks

The Thousand Names
Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore
Thorn Queen (Dark Swan, Book 2) - Richelle Mead I was totally on board with this book for the first 300 pages. Great character dynamics, interesting world, intriguing plot... Then the heroine, Eugenie, was raped. And the rape was nothing more than a plot device. There are so many other things that could have been used to achieve the same goal, plot-wise, but for some reason, Mead chose rape. And she obviously didn't do any research beforehand either, because after the rape bit of the book, she immediately makes the incredibly stupid and well-known (if only she had done a smidgeon of research) magic healing penis mistake by having Eugenie turn right around (after a few weeks of weeping into her mom's arms) and magically erase all the badness of the rape by having wonderful sex with Dorien, who has been pursuing her with mixed success for two books. I'll admit I love Dorien, and I was hoping they'd get together, but this was not the way it should have happened. I'm so, so disappointed in Richelle Mead right now. I might read the third book in the series anyway, because I WAS so into this world, but I don't know if I'll be able to handle it if Eugenie doesn't have any emotional aftereffects to deal with, and I'm fairly certain that Mead isn't going to bother with more than the occasional cursory flashback. Sigh.Update 2/1/12: Because this is still bothering me, I want to mention that if you're interested in reading urban fantasy that handles rape well, check out Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson books.