elenalikesbooks

The Thousand Names
Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore
Demonglass - Rachel Hawkins This book is pure, undiluted mind candy. I enjoyed Hex Hall, and I think this one may have been even better. Sophie's voice is fantastically done, snarky and endlessly amusing. Sophie doesn't take crap from anyone, and I appreciate that about her.In a lot of YA paranormal fiction, I'm frequently left screaming, "TELL YOUR PARENTS/TEACHERS/MENTORS/SOME ADULT, FOR GOD'S SAKE." It seems like the teens rarely have good reasons for withholding information from adults other than the fact that the book couldn't progress in the same way with the adults in the know--it's a crutch for the author. Conversely, the same problem in reverse is also true: adults in YA fiction are constantly withholding information from teens "for their own good." In this book, Sophie either divulges important information to the appropriate authority figure or she actually has a pretty freaking good reason for not sharing, and when adults try that mysterious, "You don't need to know that right now" crap, she calls them on it. Brava, Sophie!The one thing I hated about this book is that it suffers from the middle book malady of not being complete on its own. I felt Hex Hall wrapped up pretty nicely. There were enough loose ends that another book was certainly necessary, but the book ended at a place where there was also some closure. This book? Not so much. In fact, it reminded me a little of Kelley Armstrong's Summoning series in that it just cuts off right in the middle of the action without any closure whatsoever. If I'd known it was going to do that, I might have waited to read it until the third book came out. Now I have to wait who knows how long for book 3--it doesn't even have a title yet. Oh well. Despite the poor ending that leaves you wanting more in just about the worst possible way, Sophie is such a strong character that I can't help but give this book four stars. This series is a must-read for YA paranormal fans who are tired of male characters hogging all the snark.