elenalikesbooks

The Thousand Names
Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore
Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver I'm honestly a little bewildered at the overwhelming number of rave reviews for this book. I thought it was okay, but not amazing. I found the main character to be a caricature of a Mean Girl, above and beyond the way anyone would actually think/act. Maybe it's because I went to a utopian high school, but this sort of systematic evil on the part of popular kids is something about which I always have a hard time suspending disbelief. Even if I could believe it, I still couldn't relate to it. The parts of the book where Sam breaks the fourth wall and says things like, "Is what I did really so much worse than what anybody else does? Is it really so much worse than what you do?", I was always like, "YES. YES, IT IS." I also found the book more than a little didactic, especially in those sections where Sam addresses the audience.