elenalikesbooks

The Thousand Names
Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore
The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol I: The Pox Party - M.T. Anderson This was my second go at this novel, having given up after 50 pages on my first try because I found the voice distancing and the pacing incredibly slow.I still found the voice distancing and the pacing incredibly slow, but I think the book's good points outweigh the bad. Viewing the American Revolution through the eyes of a young black boy is fascinating, and something that is all-too-often overlooked in history in general and historical fiction in particular. Octavian is able to wrestle with the ambiguity of right and wrong in this era in a way that more teenagers (and people in general) need to be exposed to. The Revolutionary War was not a clear cut fight between the Oppressed Patriots and the Tyrannical British, and this novel portrays some of the ambiguities, especially in regards to the hypocrisy of a group of people fighting for freedom while keeping millions of people enslaved, beautifully.If you're a fan of gorgeous imagery, beautiful prose, and historical fiction, this is the book for you, teen or adult. If you're looking for more of a fun, fast-paced adventure narrative (as I usually am!), you might want to skip it.