elenalikesbooks

The Thousand Names
Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore
Nightshade: Book 1 - Andrea Cremer It took me a little bit to warm up to this book, but I ended up really enjoying it. I have a soft spot for werewolves, and this book involved a female alpha, which I especially appreciate because it seems like in the vast majority of paranormal books, both YA and adult, the alpha is pretty much always the sexy hero. And we did have a sexy alpha love interest in this book as well--Ren, in charge of the pack that is set to join with Calla's and Calla's supposed future mate.Ren's characterization made me a little uneasy throughout the book. I wouldn't have minded so much except for the fact that Cremer clearly meant for the reader to adore him and not mind and/or approve of the behaviors that concerned me: pressuring Calla into sexual intimacy, pinning her to the ground and forcing her to submit to his questioning instead of just asking, taking charge of her pack when Calla expected (or at least hoped) to be an equal partner.Calla finds herself torn between her feelings for Ren and her feelings for Shay, a human (maybe) boy, recently arrived in town, who is mysteriously tied up with Calla's world and who seems to be really good at getting Calla to break rules. The first scene of the book with Shay made me roll my eyes (the barest contact with his skin causes a spark of shocking desire...despite the fact that she came across him while he was being attacked by a bear and he is now bleeding profusely and about to die), but once we actually got to know him I quite liked Shay. He pursued Calla romantically while being both assertive and respectful of her boundaries (unlike Ren, who was plain old assertive, except when he was sulking because she wouldn't sleep with him).Now that I've spent all that time talking about the boys, let me assure you that the book is well-plotted also, even if there were certain things that I figured out well in advance of the characters (the "gift"=sacrifice thing, for example, was eye-rollingly obvious). There was a really unfairly cliffhangerish ending though, so if you're the type to be bothered by that you might want to wait for the next book before reading this one.