elenalikesbooks

The Thousand Names
Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore
Rose Sees Red - Cecil Castellucci I've really enjoyed some of Ms. Castellucci's previous books, but I was pretty disappointed by this one. It just screamed "I'M TEACHING YOU A VALUABLE LESSON ABOUT THE COMMONALITY OF HUMAN EXISTENCE" from beginning to end. There were some compelling bits, mostly having to do with Rose's internal conflict and journey regarding friendship and dance (as opposed to the external "Crazy night with a Russian Communist girl who is Just Like Me (but also different because humans are unique snowflakes)" plot), but overall it just felt like a book that was trying too hard. I'm not sure I would have finished it except that it was so short I figured I may as well.(I received a copy of this book through the Goodreads First Reads program, though it took more than 2 months to arrive and by the time it did I had obtained the book elsewhere.)