elenalikesbooks

The Thousand Names
Django Wexler
The Duchess Hunt
Jennifer Haymore
Wake (Wake Trilogy Series #1) - Lisa McMann,  Read by Ellen Grafton I "read" this in audio format on a long, lonely car trip. It was my first foray into audio fiction, and I enjoyed it a lot. It took a while for me to get used to the date-time heading format on audio, and there were times when I wished I were reading it in hard copy so I could flip back to previous dates and get a better handle on how much time had passed between each segment, but overall, this was a good one for audio.The present tense worked in audio in a way I'm not sure it would have if I had read it in print. I'm actually not sure if I would have liked the book so much if I hadn't had it read to me. The tone seemed like it might have been distancing for me in print--despite the immediacy of the present tense, Janie seemed somewhat distant to me as a "reader." But since I was being told the story by a narrator, that distance didn't bother me in the same way I think it may have otherwise.One thing that did bother me was the climax (possibly? depending on what you think the climax is--the bit in the police station is what I'm talking about). You've got the bad guy and Cabel (and some other people, but whatever) locked in a holding cell. Bad guy nods off into a nightmare, causing Janie, outside the cell, to be sucked into his dream and collapse, hitting her head and practically killing herself. Cabel is in a panic, behind bars and unable to get to her and also needing to maintain his cover. Er, why didn't he just wake the bad guy up when he noticed that the guy was falling asleep? I cannot think of a single reason that wouldn't have worked. Except that the author needed Janie to witness this dream so she could solve the crime, of course. It seemed like the author sacrificed logic and common sense for the sake of plot, which is just lazy writing.What I found most compelling about the book was the slow progression of Janie and Cabel's relationship, the revelations, and the two of them working through their issues together. I also loved that Janie actually seemed like a genuinely nice person, in a way where it made so much sense for Cabel to fall for her. So often in YA, there doesn't seem to be much of a motive for the guy pursuing the girl. Here, their relationship made sense on a lot of levels, and it just worked for me.However, now that the big reveals are all done and Janie and Cabel are a couple, I'm not sure whether McMann will manage to hold my attention for a sequel. I don't really care about the development of Janie's dream abilities in the way I cared about the relationship.I have the audiobook of the sequel waiting for the car ride home--we'll see if I get to it.